At Americans for Refugees & Immigrants, we REFUSE to stand behind the racist, bigoted actions coming from the White House. On 1/25/2017 Donald Trump issued two orders regarding immigration policy. Numerous provisions within this order do little more than perpetuate xenophobia, mass incarceration, criminalization of immigrants and undocumented individuals, violence, heightened policing, and racial profiling. Seattle has been a beacon as a Sanctuary City for immigrants and Refugees. Now is the time that we must stand up and RESIST these orders, defend our communities, and fight for our immigrant family.
Join us on Sunday, January 29th, at 5:00pm, at Westlake Park, in Seattle.
Provisions of Trump’s executive orders on immigration:
-Suspend the U.S broader refugee program for 120 days, stop accepting and issuing visas for people from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.
- Immediate construction of a wall on the US-Mexico border, by whatever financial means necessary
- Construction or contracting of more detention facilities at or near the US-Mexico border. (This implies significant efforts for mass detention of immigrants, detention that is often without due process. This means investing more into private prison companies).
- Hiring of 5,000 additional Border Patrol agents and 10,000 more immigration officers. Appropriating whatever funding as necessary.
- Requiring new officers to be trained to perform interrogation, detention, arrests, and searching for people believed to be “non-citizens or non-nationals”. (The implications of violence and racist profiling that this provison relies on is profound. What does this mean for the existence and safety of people who are *perceived* to be “non-American").
- Prioritizing the removal of “criminals”. Trump's priority system targets people who have been charged with, not necessarily convicted of a crime. It includes people who are perceived to “endanger” public safety/national security, leaving immigration officers with the discretion to decide who is a “threat”.
- Allow local law enforcement to act as immigration officers whenever possible, further pitting law enforcement against the communities they’re supposed to serve.
- Require local authorities to share fingerprints and other arrest data.
-Strip federal grants from Sanctuary Cities, local entities that have certain policies (or don’t abide by certain policies) to provide a refuge for undocumented immigrants. Even if Trump cannot cut all federal funding to Sanctuary Cities, this is a tactic to intimidate local entities from exercising their autonomy.
- End “catch and release”, essentially necessitating the detention of people who may or may not be deportable, and disallow release based on humanitarian concerns.
- Publicize crimes, via an “Office for Victims of Crimes Committed by Removable Aliens”. This provision would provide quarterly reports to “study” the effects of “victimization by criminal aliens present in the US”, as well as use weekly reports to publish a list of crimes committed by undocumented immigrants. This is an attempt to invalidate Sanctuary Cities and to perpetuating the fear of immigrant “criminals” and the victimization of xenophobes.
To RSVP (host email): Ari4eqjus@gmail.com
Event URL: https://www.facebook.com/events/581941758669291/?ti=as
Event Location/Address: Westlake Park, Seattle, WA 98101 USA